Monday, April 16, 2012

Gluten Free Vanilla Cupcakes


Bridget frosting her cupcake.

Vanilla Cupcakes
Dry Ingredients
1 cup Sorghum or brown rice flour
1 cup Tapioca flour
1 cup sugar
1/2tsp salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
Wet Ingredients
1 cup milk (of your choice, I think coconut would taste really good)
1 egg
3Tbs oil (of your choice)
1 Tbs Vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon juice
(Optional) 1-2 Tbs Jell-o mix

Preheat oven to 350. Sift the dry ingredients together. Add the wet and mix well, but be careful not to over mix or beat (or they will be tough). Bake 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.

The first batch of these I didn't use the Jell-o. They were a little more muffin-like. The next day they tasted just like my mom's buttermilk cake (which is one of my favorites). The good thing about that is they are really light. You can use any frosting you want, especially a rich chocolate frosting and it would compliment it very well.
Or...if you want a little more flavor from the cupcake I used strawberry Jell-o. It gave the flavor just a little pick-me-up. I used whipped cream for the frosting and the whole family loved it. The Jell-o made the texture a little more gooey.
I am excited to make these again with a yummy chocolate frosting!

No comments:

Post a Comment