Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Gluten Free Roadtrip

It takes some serious prep-work to be gluten free. You can't just pull in to the nearest fast food like we used to. Between all the stops (including dropping off our car and putting all our stuff into another car) and just driving it took us 12 hours each way to get from Mesa, Arizona to Draper, Utah. Around 1300 miles.
Here was the meal plan...
I baked my favorite gluten free bread the day before we left and sliced it all up. Then in a medium sized cooler I packed sandwich-ready lettuce, cheese slices, turkey, squeeze mayo and mustard. I had some nut thins crackers, Glutino pretzels, Lay's stax chips, apples, Larabars, and carrot sticks. We drove caravan-style with my family, so we all stopped together to eat. They went through a drive through and we just put together our sandwiches.
It's not quite as convenient, but I feel so much better eating this over the greasy junk we used to eat. And I certainly feel better about giving it to my kids, too.
On the trip back home we had a bunch of food to take back with us. Including a couple gf hamburger buns. We stopped at a small supermarket and got a rotisserie chicken that we looked up to make sure it was ok. The lady behind the counter was very friendly and said she had a relative with Celiac too. We had some BBQ sauce and made some sandwiches. The rest of my family got some chicken strips and stuff from the deli.
We bought a drink or some fresh cheese curds or whatever looked good to mix it up. It worked out really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment